Community outing has always been a big battle for my son. I remember things getting so bad with Avery’s anxiety and sensory issues my husband and I contemplated not taking Avery to indoor stores and restaurants anymore. It’s so hard watching your child struggle just walking around a store or sitting in a restaurant. Deep down my husband and I knew isolating our son was not an option for our family and our lifestyle. We also knew we wanted Avery to experience a “normal” life just like his brothers as much as possible.
After many discussions my husband and I buckled down with help from Avery’s ABA, OT & Speech therapists. After a LOT of persistence and patience we were able to help Avery through one of his biggest battles. Reaching this goal has been life changing, not only for Avery, but for the entire family. 💙
My advise is never give up. This goal took YEARS to reach . Avery still has struggles in public places, but things are so much better after we figured out what helps him the best.
Below are a few tips we use to help us when we are out in the community with our son.
* Shop early when the stores are empty
* “Try” to avoid large crowds, crowed restaurants & stores. If outdoor events and dining is an option we always take it.
* Weighted vest or weighted backpack ( sensory needs)
* Favorite toy
* iPad for communication
* Massages & squeezes before & during the outing ( sensory needs)
* Adaptive stroller or wheelchair ( this is a MUST for us. Avery is tall and it’s almost impossible for me to handle him if I’m alone) His chair is also used for safety concerns.
* Prep- we always tell him where we are going
* Avery’s mood. If he’s in a bad mood before we leave the house we either postpone or cancel the outing ( if possible) Going out with a cranky teenager is never a good idea 😬
Happy Tuesday 💙🧩
#nonverbal #SevereAutism #Specialneeds #Riverview #Tampa #Ruskin #Apollobeach
#Brandon #SunCity #Hillsboroughcounty #Nonprofit #Charity #Support #Resources #Parents #Caregivers #Militaryfamily #Community #spectrum #diagnosis #autismparent #autismmom #autismdad #autism #autismlife #ExperiencedAutismAlliance